We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven Advisor to join our organisation to supply advice to West Sussex residents predominantly via our telephone and digital channels, where appropriate and agreed some casework.
Support small projects to deliver their objectives including income maximisation checks and grant applications. Ensure accurate data capturing including social policy issues and case studies using our client data base and other systems.
If you feel you have the skills to develop into this new role, please do apply and send your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paid annual leave (+ bank holidays)
- Company Sick Pay (Qualifying period required)
- Company pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible employer sensitive to the needs of today’s workforce
- Commitment to continued professional development
- Working for a locally focused charity dedicated to assisting and empowering the community, and helping influence changes to government policy
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Take a holistic approach to providing advice, ensuring clients needs are identified including the root cause, provide appropriate advice and next steps including signposting or referring internally and externally as needed.
- Use a range of channels to provide advice including but not limited telephone, video, email and where appropriate face to face.
- Provide advice on the full range of issues and end to end journey within your subject
- Tailor advice and empower clients based on their support needs, ensuring they understand their options and make informed choices.
- Provide follow up, confirmation of advice in writing and additional information as needed.
- Undertake income maximisation checks and identify future options.
- Provide practical support and advice as needed including completing forms, applying for grants, negotiating and liaising with third parties.
- Undertake casework in agreement with your supervisor/line manager appropriate to the subject including challenging decisions, representing clients applications.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Ensure internal policies and procedures are followed including data protection, health and safety.
- Support other projects, channels or work at short notice as may be needed to support the business to deliver its objectives
- Ensure safeguarding issues are identified and relevant policies followed.
- Travel across West Sussex and to other locations as may be required.
- Support and actively engage in fundraising activities across CAWS as necessary including supporting the management team to develop business cases and funding applications
- Carry out any other tasks which may be within the scope of the role to ensure the effective delivery and development of the service.
Essential knowledge and experience
- Have at least 1 year recent full time experience in delivering independent advice in your subject area e.g. generalist, housing, welfare benefits, employment.
- Trained to Citizens Advice Level 3 or able to demonstrate competence to that level through breadth and depth of advice experience.
- At least 1 years full time experience of undertaking general level casework including applications, challenging decisions, negotiating with third parties and the tactics clients can use to resolve their issue early
- Excellent understanding of the benefits system and able to undertake income maximisation checks and “what if” scenarios.
- A demonstrable understanding of the advice process in addressing the root cause of issues clients face
- An understanding of the aims and principles of Citizens Advice and how this applies to the needs of diverse clients
- Experience of working to quality standards such as AQS in providing advice and delivering casework.
Essential skills and behaviours
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, able to quickly build trust and ensure complex information is understood by clients and third parties
- Excellent IT and digital skills, able to self administer confidently and use tools to organise your work including outlook, word, excel, powerpoint, Teams, sharepoint and client data base systems
- Ability to work independently and remotely, prioritise workloads in a busy environment to meet deadlines and targets
- Welcome continuous improvement in your own and others work
- To challenge discrimination and uphold equality, diversity and inclusion principles
- Knowledge in more than one subject areas
- Experience of delivering specialist level casework up to court or Tribunal representation
- Experience of training and supervising paid staff and volunteers
- Experience of case checking and file reviewing others
- Experience of working with teams across a wide area and remote supervision
About our Charity
Citizens Advice in West Sussex (North, South, East) (CAWS) is a registered charity and part of the national Citizens Advice Network. We are here to help our users with the problems and questions they face, so they can make choices and thrive. We want things to be better and so we use our insight and our clients lived experiences to improve the system for everyone.
Our service is free, independent and confidential. We value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.
CAWS delivers a range of advice services, funded by grants, local and national contracts. We work in lots of partnerships including the local authority, Macmillan, NHS, Housing Associations and more. Citizens Advice experience is not a requirement for this post, although an understanding of the service is desirable.
|Location||Choice of one of our office locations, open to homeworking|
|Hours||37 hours per week, full time|
|Salary||£22,000 - £25,000 pro rata depending on experience|
|Contract type||Fixed term to March 2021|
|Closing Date||19th of January 2021, We reserve the right to close this vacancy early upon receipt of suitable applicants|