We can help you apply for the new Universal Credit benefit

Universal Credit has been introduced across West Sussex from June 2018. It replaces 6 ‘means-tested’ benefits – these are benefits you can get if your income and savings are below a certain level.

Whether you should apply for Universal Credit instead of one of these benefits, depends on your circumstances.

Universal Credit works differently from other benefits – so if you’re moving from another benefit it’s important to know the differences.


You can get Universal Credit if you’re unemployed but also if you’re working

You’ll get...

A single payment each month, rather than weekly or fortnightly

Housing benefit

Instead of getting a separate housing benefit, your housing costs will be paid directly to you as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment

Where can I get face to face help in making my claim?

Citizens Advice in West Sussex has a dedicated team who will help you make your initial claim online for Universal Credit. The team is delivering sessions at the following locations:

Crawley Town Council

The Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Tuesday: 9.30am-1.30pm
Wednesday: 10am-2pm

Crawley Jobcentre Plus

Gresham House, 20-22, Station Rd, Crawley, RH10 1EZ

Tuesday and Thursday, 10am-2pm

Haywards Heath Jobcentre Plus

Kingsley House 31 Boltro Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1BP

Monday and Thursday, 10am-2pm
*Thursday 24th October 11am-2pm

Horsham Jobcentre Plus

Marlborough House, 50 East Street, Horsham, RH12 1HN

Monday: 9.30am-3pm
Wednesday: 10am-12pm

Alternatively, you can visit us at your local advice centre to request an appointment.

Find out more about volunteering

“Universal Credit can be confusing, and I’m pleased to be able to help people through the process.”

How to contact us over the festive periodLatest news

12th December 2019

View details