We can help you apply for the new Universal Credit benefit

Universal Credit has been introduced across West Sussex from June 2018. It replaces 6 ‘means-tested’ benefits – these are benefits you can get if your income and savings are below a certain level.

Whether you should apply for Universal Credit instead of one of these benefits, depends on your circumstances.

Universal Credit works differently from other benefits – so if you’re moving from another benefit it’s important to know the differences.


You can get Universal Credit if you’re unemployed but also if you’re working

You’ll get...

A single payment each month, rather than weekly or fortnightly

Housing benefit

Instead of getting a separate housing benefit, your housing costs will be paid directly to you as part of your monthly Universal Credit payment

Where can I get face to face help in making my claim?

Citizens Advice in West Sussex has a dedicated team who will help you make your initial claim online for Universal Credit. The team is delivering sessions at the following locations:

Crawley Town Council

The Boulevard, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 1UZ

Tuesday: 9.30am-1.30pm
Wednesday: 10am-2pm

Crawley Jobcentre Plus

Gresham House, 20-22, Station Rd, Crawley, RH10 1EZ

Tuesday and Thursday, 10am-2pm

Horsham Jobcentre Plus

Marlborough House, 50 East Street, Horsham, RH12 1HN

Monday: 9.30am-3pm
Wednesday: 10am-12pm

Alternatively, you can send us an email.

Find out more about volunteering

“Universal Credit can be confusing, and I’m pleased to be able to help people through the process.”